As a reminder, the exchange applications are due by the end of the day Monday, April 10.
The dates of the Korean exchange have been confirmed as December 10-19, 2017.
In partnership with the Alberta Sport Connection, (ASC), and Cross Country Alberta, (CCA), Alberta is taking part in a sport exchange with our sister Province of Gangwon, South Korea. The exchange program is for youth and is designed to be a goodwill mission that fosters trade and cultural agreements between our two provinces.
In November 2016, Alberta hosted a delegation of 10 Korean athletes, along with 5 leaders. The Korean delegation arrived in Edmonton on November 20, and left from Calgary on November 29. During their visit, they had the opportunity to experience Albertan hospitality and sport, while competing in the Alberta Cup Cross Country Ski event in Canmore.
In the month of December 2017, Alberta will be in the second year of the two-year agreement between Alberta and Gangwon South Korea. Alberta will be sending a 15 member delegation which consists of 10 (5 males and 5 female) plus 5 leaders to Gangwon, South Korea for 10 days.
Cross Country Alberta invites you to apply to be an Alberta Athlete in this unique opportunity.
Korean Exchange Athlete Selection Criteria
- Eligible for Juveniles and Junior Boy and Girls
- Athletes must be born 2000 – 2003
- Dates of the trip are December 2017 exact dates TBA
To be eligible, skiers must:
- have competed in the 2016-2017 Alberta Cup races
- be committed to a training program
- be enrolled in the Alberta School System
- be a Resident of Alberta
- holder of Alberta Health Card
- holder of a current Canadian Passport
- hold a valid 2017 – 2018 CCC Race License
- submit a written application by April 10, 2017 deadline which includes:
- Skier resume
- A letter of reference from an individual who has known the skier for at least 3 years and can provide a character reference. The letter should
specifically describe how the applicant has represented the sport of Cross Country Skiing as well as his or her club program, their conduct on and off skis and their interaction with coaches, teammates and competitors.
- Other supporting documents as the skier may wish to include, such as newspaper articles.
- If selected, attend an interview with members of the Gangwon Sport Exchange Selection Committee. At the time of the interview the applicant will be required to write a 150 to 200 word essay outlining why they should be considered for selection to this team; “the essay should be titled why I would like to Ski for Team Alberta in Korea”.
- Final selections will be based off 50 % performance from AB Cup Series 2016 – 2017 and 50 % from academic score of interview, essay and application.
- Application due April 10, 2017
- Interviews April 22 and 23, 2017
- Athlete Notification May 15, 2017
- Registration and Competition Clothing Size Orientation Meetings:
May 24, 2017 Calgary or May 25 Edmonton 2017
- Registration Package due June 30, 2017
- Exchange Update Meetings:
September 12, 2017 Calgary or September 13, 2017 Edmonton
- Athlete / Parent Orientation Meeting November 4, 2017
- Departure to Korea December 2017 / exact dates TBA