NCCP Coach Developers include Master Coach Developers, Learning Facilitators, and Coach Evaluators.
Coach Developers “are not simply experienced coaches or transmitters of coaching knowledge – they are trained to develop, support, and challenge coaches to go on honing and improving their knowledge and skills in order to provide positive and effective sport experiences for all participants.” In short, Coach Developers need to be experts in learning, as well as experts in coaching.
The typical pathway for someone who wants to be a Coach Developer involves the following steps:
Training: Coach Developer candidates must complete rigorous training, and this training is now being made consistent across Canada. The following training is required by all Coach Developers:
- Core Training: Provides Coach Developers with the skills to perform their role.
- Content-specific Training (sport or multi-sport): This includes microfacilitation which gives Coach Developers an opportunity to practise delivery with their peers.
- Co-delivery: This is a chance for the new Coach Developer to practise with real coaches alongside an experienced Coach Developer.
Once a Coach Developer has all of the above training pieces they are considered “TRAINED”.
Evaluation: Evaluation confirms that the Coach Developer is capable of certain abilities which are deemed important in the training of coaches.
Once a Coach Developer has been evaluated they are considered: “CERTIFIED”.
Coach Developer pathway resources:
- Summary of core training for Coach Developers
- Micro-facilitation process and evaluation form
- Micro-evaluation process
- Summary of co-facilitation
- Summary of co-evaluation
Coach Developer Workshop Schedule:
|LF Core Training||December 1, 2018||Edmonton, AB||CLOSED|
|LF Core Training||March 23, 2019||Edmonton, AB||Register Here|
|MCD (Master Coach Developer) Core Training||February 3, 2019||Edmonton, AB||Register Here|
|Coach Evaluator Core Training||March 24, 2019||Edmonton, AB||Register Here|